Skip to content

LVRJ calls ‘Fathermothergod’ a fabulous, painful memoir of faith

September 20, 2011

Las Vegas Review Journal guest reviewer Jami Carpenter writes “(fathermothergod)resonates with anyone wanting to understand another’s beliefs, or trying to understand his or her own.

Click HERE to read the full review.

13 Comments leave one →
  1. M.M. permalink
    September 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Thank you,Lucia!
    I have read all of the x-CS books as my therapy after leaving CS and your’s illustrated so perfectly the insanity of CS.
    I too have lost my mother,only she happens to still be alive.
    She chose CS over her two daughters long ago and has been ill for decades.
    I saw my family in your family and myself in you and the utter frustration and desperation we feel when we no longer believe and try to get through to the true believers.
    It is a long journey out and I thank you so much for your effort and courage in writing this book.

• September 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Thank you M.M I have not replied to these comments because I didn’t know they were here. (I am still very much on the near end of the learning curve when it comes to internet and social media, etc!) I see you are in New York. If you get this message, I am going to be at All Souls on Lexington Avenue between 79th and 80th St tomorrow talking briefly about MBE and Christian Science in a historical perspective, and then talk a bit more about my own experience. Time permitting, I thought I’d open the discussion to others if they wanted to share their own “testimonies.”

2. Eleanor Weigle permalink
    September 30, 2011 4:22 pm

I picked your book up at the library yesterday afternoon and finished it this morning! I wasn’t sure I wanted to read it, but I was interested in the subject because of my fifty plus year friendship with a remarkable woman who is a Christian Scientist. Your story was very moving. Congratulations on a beautifully written memoir.
    I just missed you at Chautauqua, as I arrived there on August 14th!

3. Kristin Fine permalink
    October 1, 2011 4:04 pm

I’m 39 (not CS) have 4 kids grew up to 2 CS parents in Greenwich, CT and felt like you were in my head reading this book. I feel it could help explain some of the unexplainable things to people I am close to now. Interestingly, i forced my non-practicing mom into cancer treatment a few years ago- and she is one I most want to read this next. I feel so hopeful it night enable a discussion that could bring us closer as people. My dad died at 62 i think from diabetes, 9 months after his 42 year old second wife- leaving a 10 year old daughter alone. She is now 17, a senior at Prin and struggling. (Guardian assigned was removed relative CS not me though I was closest to her.)I am trying to help her find a non CS college to give her a shot at surviving this mess. I am weighing sharing this book with her…might be too much at the moment. Anyhow, I ramble but I don’t know if you would ever meet for coffee..I’ve never written someone like this, seems a little random but well, you can always ignore me! I’d love to just probe your experience a little for ideas in how to possibly broach hard things with my half sister. Regardless, thanks for the read, good for self awareness..ironically read while home sick in bed.

• November 4, 2011 5:59 pm

Thank you, Kristin. I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I would love to talk with you. Are you still in the Greenwich area? I am a bit busier than usual with book stuff, so I’m not sure exactly when we could meet but I enjoy connecting with other former Christian Scientists, hearing their stories, and offering each other support.

4. Pam Jentz permalink
    October 4, 2011 10:33 pm

Dear Lucia: I am an avid reader, but, never before have I contacted an author. I just wanted to thank you for your book about your life journey through Christian Science. Like you, this was the faith of my dad, and consequently, my sister, brother, and I. I cried so many times while reading this. I found myself reciting from memory, so much of the texts, and the hymns. The way you talked about all your feelings, brought all of that back to me. We lost our dad to skin cancer that was left untreated and spread throughout his body. I have alot of anger about that, but, this was his life, his choice. I always wanted to go to a different church. I never liked being part of something so different than everyone else we knew. It was just so wonderful to be able to hear from someone that had pretty much the same experience growing up. None of us stayed with the church, we moved on after the loss of our dad. He was a wonderful loving man who asked us to try Science first, but, never denied us medical help if we asked. I did learn how to pray and that has served me well in my lifetime. Thank you so much for your personal account.

• November 4, 2011 6:05 pm

Thank you Pam! Forgive me if I’ve already replied to this. I’m a bit confused by the format of this exchange. And I apologize if I have not yet replied. I have been receiving messages via this website, and an email attached to this website, and a facebook author page and another email address…and I am doing a lousy job of staying on top of them! If there is safety in numbers, you will feel reassured to know that I am hearing from many, many others with stories like yours and mine. Best regards, Lucia

5. S.V. permalink
    November 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi Lucia, I have not read your book yet but have read others on same subject. I am newly breaking away, confused, scared, and sad about possibly losing friends I’ve had for years. I can no longer believe and in fact, part of me never did. I know now that I used CS to paper over a deeper problem with depression and anxiety. I am going to order your book. A memoir like this can be healing (in a different way!) to all those out there trying to find their way back to earth.

Keep up the good work.

Blessings,

S.V.

6. Lee Smith permalink
    May 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Dear Lucia, Thank you for writing ” Fathermothergod”! I read it a few months back and was touched deeply. ‘m a 68 year old, married, father of three, raised from birth in CS, attended a Christian Science college, my dad, step dad, brother, and many family friends died prematurely because of C.S. doctrine. I have a long story paralleled to yours inculding similar details and traumas. My whole family is still in C.S. but I broke away after returning from Viet Nam in 1969 — gradually realizing I had been lied to my whole life. I am a Christian now and have a perspective of truth that gives freedom in every aspect of my life. Thank you so much for your honesty, transparency, and truthfulness. I’ve never spoken with a former C.S. person, so reading your book has made me feel connected to someone who understands the suffering of trying to live a life of constant denial.
    In appreciation,
    Lee Smith

• June 1, 2012 3:06 am

Thank you Lee for posting here. You might like to check out the facebook group called Ex-Christian Scientists. There is also a closed group on the internet I can put you in touch with if you are interested. Just let me know. I do not always check this regularly, but I will try to be better about it! warm wishes, Lucia

7. May 31, 2012 9:10 am

Having discovered you on a FB group for former CS, and reading your blog here, I am intrigued by your story–and those of others who have posted, and am now awaiting the delivery of your book from Amazon.ca (I’m in Canada). S.V.’s post here describes my situation almost exactly. I would say I’m newly in the process of leaving, but not really “coming out” as it were to my CS friends, some of whom I may well lose as friends. I grew up in CS, have had Class instruction, and even worked at the Boston headquarters until just over 2 years ago.

Both of my parents passed away in 2009–Mom, I’m not sure what happened, I was living on the other side of the continent–she died in a CS nursing facility before I was able to make arrangements to fly out to see her. All I know is that she seemed to suffer quite a bit in her last days. Dad–I had to convince him to go to the hospital. When I flew across the country to attend to him after being informed how serious his condition actually was (he was good at hiding it when we talked on the phone), he was in a horrific condition, and in complete denial of the seriousness of it. Long and short, he had a heart condition that could have been treated had it been caught years ago when the doctors speculate it began. Would he have lived longer? Maybe. At the very least, he wouldn’t have suffered so much pain and agony as he did over the years.

While my parents’ decisions regarding their care were theirs alone to make, and I feel it would be a bit presumptuous of me to judge them, I just do not wish to suffer the same fate myself.

My parents’ passing was definitely a catalyst for a spiritual awakening and exploration for me. It was really always there deep within me to do this exploration. I’ve always harboured doubts about CS–I guess I just didn’t want to disappoint my parents (silly, eh?), even though I know they would have always wanted me to chart my own course. I find myself now deeply exploring Native American (First Nations here in Canada) spirituality. It is so refreshingly free of dogma, not judgmental, and genuinely inclusive. However, I do find it challenging coming to terms with where I am now, and where I’ve been. I am still reluctant to seek treatment until things get really bad–I fear I might always be that way. Who knows?

• June 1, 2012 3:17 am

Hi JB, Thanks for contacting me. I hope you will feel some comfort in knowing that you are not alone, that there are others–many others–with stories like yours and ours. I’m curious about your mother’s time in the CS care facility. Do you mind telling me which one she was at? (Forgive my ignorance, I don’t even know if, when I reply to you here, it posts for everyone to see or if only you can!) but if you would like to correspond via email, you can at lucia.ewinggreenhouse@gmail.com.
      (And this goes for anyone else if you can read this!)
      warm wishes, Lucia

• June 21, 2012 12:32 am

I do find great comfort in reading other’s stories, and sharing mine. It is therapeutic. As I deal in my work with people who’ve suffered trauma, I know that an integral part of the healing process is to share one’s story–to “get it out”, so to speak. With us, it is no different. Many of us have seen loved ones either die before their time of curable/treatable conditions, or (in my case) watched them suffer needless physical pain. It also becomes engrained in us to not seek medical or other treatment, and many of us still tend to wait longer than we should. Getting past this is all part of the healing.